9.17 Part 2 of the PinkReport: A 10 Year Respective: How She Shops NowJanuary 15, 2018 9:03 pm Leave your thoughts
Today’s Beauty Consumer and Her Beauty Basics in 2016/2017
Desire, rather than need, is driving today’s beauty consumer to buy, which represents a dynamic change from the beauty consumers of yesterday. Traditionally, beauty has been a product women purchased when they ‘needed it’, such as when they ran out of their face wash, or had a special occasion. In 2006, 61% of mainstream shoppers only purchased a new product when they ran out as compared to 19% of shoppers in 2016. More than ever, women are now stuffing their makeup bags with products simply because they would like to have them. Need is no longer the driving factor in her purchase decision.
A few highlights:
- Beauty has become an “I want it” purchase
- 61% of mainstream shoppers only purchased a new product when they ran out (as compared to 19% of shoppers in 2006)
- 41% of women shop for beauty products on a monthly basis
- Target and Walmart remain the primary destination for beauty shopping for the majority of female beauty consumers (69%)
- 55% of women have purchased beauty products at Amazon.com in the past 12 months
- 61%of beauty shoppers use the internet to buy beauty products.
- 56% of mainstream shoppers found out about new products via sampling as (compared to only 13% in 2006)