Boasting a diverse, ever-growing array of products and the starting point for some of today’s hottest brands, home shopping is a $13B a year (and growing) powerhouse. Beauty products represent about ___% of all products sold at QVC, HSN, and EVINE, that’s more than $2B in sales per year. To find out about today’s home shopping beauty consumer and how she interacts with and uses this mega-force, we asked 1,200 home shoppers to talk all things QVC, HSN, EVINE (and more!) with us.
Home shopping consumers span all ages…
- QVC’s most engaged consumer is married and between 40-60 years old
- HSN: 25-54
- EVINE: 35+
Her main reasons for home shopping?
- 58%: has the best value for the price
- 57%: convenient
- 49%: sells brands I know and trust
- 46%: offers great prices on prestige products
What compels her to purchase via home shopping?
- 84%: the product was a customer “top rated” pick
- 67%: exclusive offers or special deals
- 52% of women made their very first home shopping beauty purchase because price and payment plans were attractive
In the past 6 months, home shopping beauty buyers have:
- Looked for deals (56%)
- Surfed for ‘new arrivals’ (45%)
- Been swayed to purchase by a daily deal (40%)
She demands proof!
- 95% look for positive online product reviews before purchasing a beauty product
- 93% of women look for efficacy claims
- 78% say consumer claims are the most compelling (from women with similar skin concerns)
- In fact, 58% of women chose products based on consumer claims!
Show and tell! She regularly tunes-in to her favorite home shopping network to:
- See/hear how product work/what they do (67%)
- See the product demonstrated (64%)
- Learn about new brands/products on the market, and to see/hear about product offerings (59%)
She shops home shopping online:
- 70% of women shop via QVC.com, 60% at HSN.com
- 41% visit home shopping websites weekly
- 81% use a home-computer when shopping home shopping websites
- 51% a smart phone and 39% an iPad or tablet
- 34% stay on your site between 21-40 minutes
When she finds a new product on a home shopping site, she’s…:
- Checking out product reviews (89%)
- Price shopping by checking competing retailer websites (78%)
- Reading product reviews on the home shopping website (66%)
- Searching online for coupons or for in-store specials (56%)
Color cosmetics are her #1 home shopping beauty purchase!
- 73% of consumer purchases are color cosmetics
- 38% of women purchase eye makeup
- 31% foundation/bronzer/concealer
- 23% lipstick/gloss and beauty tools
Other products she is purchasing include:
- 65% are bath and body products
- 55% are skincare, chiefly anti-aging products
- 38% fragrance and shampoo/conditioner
- 35% hair tools
- 33% skin devices
- And 27% nail products
Based on an original survey of 1,238 US women ages 18+, conducted in June 2016.
To read more, click here.